Want to make a one-of-a-kind river table but not sure where to start? Our project-ready DIY TotalBoat Epoxy Resin River Table Project Kits have everything you need, including simple, detailed step-by-step instructions to make a maker out of you! It’s easy, it’s fun, and before your wood table is done, you’ll be planning your next creative project because once you start making cool stuff—you can’t stop! Our kits are perfect for coffee tables & dining table builds.
Simple Instructions for Creating an Epoxy River Table
What You’ll Need:
- TotalBoat River Table Project Kit (Quart Size or Gallon Size)
- Personal protection, such as appropriate mask and gloves
- Wood to encase in epoxy
- Wood, drill, screws, and screwdriver to build a mold
- Buffer / polisher
- Sanding block (optional)
- Acetone or denatured alcohol for removing surface contamination
Trash Wood To Treasure – DIY Epoxy River Floating Shelves
Watch TotalBoat Ambassador Jonny Builds create DIY Epoxy River Floating Shelves from live edge slab walnut and hickory cutoffs that would’ve been thrown in the trash. He used TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy Resin with Slow Hardener, and pigmented the epoxy. Hidden floating shelf hardware was used to mount the shelves to the wall.
Making An Epoxy Resin River Table
In this video, TotalBoat Ambassador Casey Martin shows us step-by-step how he built his spectacular epoxy river table out of two beautiful slabs of box elder burl and TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy & Slow Hardener.
- Clear, high-gloss, pourable epoxy
- Simple 2 to 1 mix ratio
- Self-levels as it cures
- Sizes: Available in a Quart Kit (1 Quart High Performance Epoxy Resin Part A, and 1/2 Quart High Performance Slow Epoxy Hardener Part B), and a Gallon Kit (1 Gallon High Performance Epoxy Resin Part A, and ½-Gallon High Performance Slow Epoxy Hardener Part B)
Quart and Gallon Table Kit Contents
- TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy Resin
- TotalBoat High Performance Slow Hardener
- Black Diamond Pigments (10/pk, assorted colors, 5 grams/pk)
- 5 – One-quart plastic mixing cups
- 5 – Half-quart plastic mixing cups
- TotalBoat High Performance calibrated epoxy resin and hardener pumps
- 5 – Large wooden stir sticks (Size: 10”)
- 5 – Tongue depressors (Size: 5½” x ⅝”)
- 1 – Roll, clear plastic packing tape
- 4 – Foam brushes (Width: 2″)
- 1 – Heat gun with power cord
- 1 – Hot glue gun with power cord
- 1 – 24/pk glue sticks (Size: 4” length, ½” diameter)
- Sandpaper – 36 sheets/pk (3 ea. of 120-3000 grit; Size: 9” x 3.6”)
- TotalBoat TotalShine Finishing Compound (Size: 16 fl. oz.)
- TotalBoat Premium Boat Wax (Size: 11 oz.)
- 2 – TotalBoat Microfiber Towels (Size: 16” x 16”)
How to calculate how much epoxy you’ll need for your project
Measure the area you will fill with epoxy to determine how much you will need.
AREA: Length x width X depth = Volume needed in cubic inches.
1 quart of mixed epoxy = 57.75 cubic inches
2 quarts of mixed epoxy = 115.5 cubic inches
3 quarts of mixed epoxy = 173.25 cubic inches
1 gallon of mixed epoxy = 231 cubic inches
You can also check out our epoxy coverage calculator!