Your creativity will flow as easily as your resin when you mix in these epoxy-safe colorants, including mica powder pigments, alcohol-based inks, and liquid gel opaque pigments. Experiment with colors and techniques to create one-of-a-kind epoxy art, jewelry, river tables, bar tops, table tops, counter tops, coasters, paperweights, picture frames, collages, signs, tool handles, lamp bases, wine bottle holders — if you can dream it, this kit can help you do it!
SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS FOR ADDING PIGMENTS TO MIXED EPOXY
Epoxy is finicky stuff. The secret to success is using the right mix ratio and stirring your Epoxy Resin and Hardener thoroughly. Mix ratio is the ratio of resin to hardener. So if the mix ratio is 2:1, you use 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener, by volume. Different epoxies have different mix ratios so always pay close attention to the manufacturer’s directions.
After the resin and hardener components are mixed completely, you can add pigments. We recommend making one larger batch of mixed epoxy and dividing it into the supplied 50ml beakers. Then you can add the pigments of your choice to each beaker, before pouring into a syringe or mold.
*NOTE: Be sure to level your work surface and have all your materials organized and ready to go because once you mix the epoxy, you only have a certain amount of time until it sets up and is no longer usable.
EASY TECHNIQUES FOR CREATING EYE-POPPING EFFECTS
BLACK DIAMOND MICA POWDER PIGMENTS
These dry powder pigments create a sparkly burst of color. Add more to create solid colors, or just add a little for a smaller dose of sparkle!
TIPS FOR USING MICA POWDER PIGMENTS
T-REX ALCOHOL INK PIGMENTS
These vibrant, acid-free, transparent, alcohol-based inks can be used with different techniques to create a number of artistic effects, such as a droplet effect or a translucent look. These inks will settle in the bottle, so shake well before using.
TIPS FOR USING ALCOHOL INK PIGMENTS
LIQUID GEL OPAQUE PIGMENTS
Liquid coloring agents contain a very high concentration of pigment. Your end result will be a solid opaque color, as shown in the red and white discs below.
TIPS FOR USING OPAQUE PIGMENTS
These epoxy-safe coloring agents create opaque, solid colors. Add drop by drop to your mixed epoxy until you reach the desired color, mixing after each drop to combine. Keep in mind that it takes very little pigment to achieve full opacity. As with all epoxy colorants – a little goes a long way!
- Black Diamond Mica Powder Pigments (Quantity: 10 packets. Size: 5 grams per packet. Colors: Imperial Red/Pink, Caribbean Blue, Mahogany, Blue Green, Liberty Copper, Pure White, Tuscan Sunset, Vivid Orange, Cobalt Blue, Battleship Grey)
- T-Rex Alcohol Ink Pigments (12 bottle starter pack, 11 vibrant colors and 1 clear blender, 20mL per bottle); Colors: Dragonfruit Pink, Shiraz Red, Sunshine Yellow, Bellini Orange, Jurassic Green, Irish Moss, Tidal Teal, Glacier Blue, Deep Sea Blue, Amethyst Purple, Space Black, Clear Blender
- Opaque liquid coloring agents (Quantity: 6 bottles. Size: 2 fl. oz. each. Colors: Red, Yellow, Dark Blue, Black, White, Hunter Green)
5 – 12cc plastic syringes
- Note: Due to pandemic-related supplier shortages, plastic syringes are not available or included with kits.
- 10 – 50ml disposable plastic beakers
- 5 – Half-quart plastic mixing cups
- 5 – 8 oz. plastic mixing cups
- 20 – Tongue depressors (Size: 5½” x ⅝”)
All the pigments in this kit are ideal for use with our TotalBoat ThickSet, TotalBoat TableTop, and TotalBoat High Performance epoxy products. Not sure which epoxy to use for your project? We can help!
IF YOU’RE MAKING A…
USE THIS TOTALBOAT EPOXY
|TotalBoat TableTop Epoxy|
MIX RATIO 1:1
|TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy Resin with High Performance Slow Hardener|
MIX RATIO 2:1
|ThickSet Clear Deep Casting Epoxy|
MIX RATIO 3:1