- Water-based ablative bottom paint features 25% copper for full season protection against barnacles and slime.
- Each Gallon order includes a free roller & metal tray kit, paint suit, an abrasive pad, 1 roll of painter’s masking tape, and two 10″ wooden stir sticks
- Use on fiberglass and wooden boats in saltwater and fresh water, primed steel, and most previously painted surfaces.
- Compatible with existing ablative and hard bottom paints in good condition.
- Paint film is hard enough to be burnished smooth for better fuel economy and speed performance
- Colors: Choose from Black, Blue, Green, and Red
- Size: Available in Quarts and Gallons
Excellent single-season antifouling protection
JD Select’s water-based formula is more environmentally friendly than conventional solvent-based bottom paints. But this doesn’t compromise its effectiveness, as its medium copper load keeps barnacles, slime, and weeds at bay in low to moderate fouling waters—often with just a single coat.
Great results with a roller and brush
Do-it-yourselfers can get a smooth, uniform finish using a 3/16″ nap roller and a foam brush for cutting in. Because JD Select is water based, you can use water if the paint needs a little thinning; use soap and water to clean up.
Dries quickly. Paint and launch the same weekend
Depending on the temperature, JD Select can dry in less than two hours. For best results, allow paint to cure overnight before launching.
- Cuprous oxide content: 25%
- Application: Brush, roll (3/16″ nap roller cover recommended), or spray (airless or conventional)
- Thinning: Water
- Surface prep solvents: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100, TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep
- Cleanup: Water
- Number of coats: 1-2
- Dry time to overcoat: 1.5 hours @ 90°F, 3 hours @ 70°F, 6 hours @ 50°F
- Dry time to launch: 6 hours @ 90°F, 10 hours @ 70°F, 16 hours @ 50°F
- Coverage: 500 sq. ft. per gallon
- Primer (bare fiberglass or steel): TotalBoat TotalProtect Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer
- Not for use on aluminum hulls. For aluminum and underwater metals, see TotalBoat Krypton copper-free bottom paint, TotalBoat AlumiPaint AF, and TotalBoat Outdrive AF.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can this water-based ablative paint be used on?
JD Select Water-Based Bottom Paint can be used on fiberglass and wooden boats in saltwater and freshwater, primed steel, and most previously painted surfaces.
Does it require thinning?
No, it does not require thinning. The maximum percentage that JD Select can be thinned for any application method is 10% (12 ounces per gallon) with water.
Can I use this paint on my aluminum boat?
No, this paint contains cuprous oxide and should not be used on aluminum boats due to the risk of galvanic corrosion. For aluminum and underwater metals, see TotalBoat Krypton copper-free bottom paint, TotalBoat AlumiPaint AF, and TotalBoat Outdrive AF.
How long does JD Select take to dry?
Depending on the temperature, JD Select can dry in less than two hours. If applying a second coat, overcoat dry times are 1.5 hours @ 90ºF, 3 hours @ 70º, and 6 hours @ 50ºF. For best results, allow the paint to cure overnight before launching. Dry time to launch is 6 hours @ 90ºF, 10 hours @ 70ºF, and 16 hours @ 50ºF.
How should this paint be applied?
JD Select bottom paint is versatile in terms of application options, as one can use a brush, roller, or even a spray gun.
Does this paint have copper in it?
Yes, JD Select features 25% copper for full season antifouling protection against barnacles and slime.