TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep Solvent cleans surfaces thoroughly so coatings adhere better and last longer. It also makes quick work of cleaning painting tools and equipment by dissolving paint easily and completely.
- Our Dewaxer & Surface Prep Solvent can be used on fiberglass, gelcoat, stainless steel, wood, aluminum, and bronze surfaces
- Excellent pre-paint treatment
- Sizes: Quart and Gallon
- For use with specified TotalBoat products
Use as a surface prep solvent wipe for these TotalBoat products
- Wet Edge Topside Paint
- Wet Edge Cold Cure Topside Paint
- TotalTread Non-Skid Deck Paint
- TotalGold One-Part Gold Paint
- TotalBilge Protective Bilge Paint
- TotalBoat Topside Primer
- TotalProtect Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer
- Aluminum Boat Epoxy Barrier Coat
- Underdog Ablative Bottom Paint
- JD Select Ablative Bottom Paint
- KeelHauler Ablative Bottom Paint
- Krypton Copper-Free Ablative Bottom Paint
- Spartan Multi-Season Ablative Bottom Paint
- AlumiPaint AF Copper-Free Ablative Bottom Paint
- Outdrive AF Copper-Free Outdrive & Prop Antifouling Paint
- Inflatable Boat Paint (use on fiberglass/aluminum RIBS only; do not use on PVC, rubber, or Hypalon tubes)
- Gleam 2.0 Marine Spar Varnish
TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep is not intended for use with some TotalBoat products. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding compatibility.
- Solvent type: Surface prep and tool cleaner
- Application methods: Clean, dry rags or towels
- Substrates: Fiberglass, gelcoat, stainless steel, wood, aluminum, and bronze surfaces
- VOC content: < 6.78 lbs./gal.
- Warning! Rags, steel wool, or waste soaked with TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep may catch fire spontaneously if discarded improperly. Immediately after use, place rags, steel wool, or waste in a sealed, water-filled metal container.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Dewaxer used for?
TotalBoat Dewaxer and Surface Prep is a solvent wash used to remove mold release agents, wax, grease, and oil from surfaces before applying finishes or adhesives.
What surfaces can you use Dewaxer on?
Use Dewaxer on fiberglass, gelcoat, stainless steel, bronze, aluminum, and wood.
Will this solvent remove wax without damaging fiberglass?
Yes. It is ideal for this application.
What kind of cloth or rag should you use with Dewaxer?
Use a clean rag or terry cloth towel that does not have Dewaxer & Surface Prep already on it. For the best results, wipe in a circular motion to remove contamination and dewax.
What is the difference between Dewaxer Surface Prep and acetone?
Acetone evaporates very quickly, making it difficult to remove all the contaminants from the surface. A slower evaporating solvent like TotalBoat Dewaxer provides ample time to remove all of the wax, grease, or oil.
Can Dewaxer be used to remove mold release wax from bare fiberglass hulls?
Yes, this surface prep solvent wash removes mold release wax prior to priming or gelcoating fiberglass hulls.
What is the difference between Dewaxer Surface Prep and Eco Solvent?
Both are used to remove surface contaminants before painting, however, Eco Solvent contains no environmentally hazardous ingredients, and is generally used as a safer alternative to acetone, xylene, MEK, and other petroleum-based solvents. It is also stronger than traditional solvents, so coatings tend to adhere better and last longer.
Can it be used to clean paint brushes and rollers?
Yes, you can use Dewaxer to remove paint from brushes, rollers, and spray equipment without damaging painting tools..
Can this be used to remove amine blush from cured epoxy?
No. Blush can be removed using warm water and a scotch-brite pad. This is a pre-prep surface cleaner used to mold release agents, wax, grease, and oil.