- High-solids formula provides superior coverage as an undercoating for polyurethane and enamel topside paints
- One-part marine topside primer is easy to apply, dries fast, and cures to a hard finish that won’t lift or crack
- Lead-free and chromate-free
- Apply on wood, fiberglass, gelcoat, and over previously painted materials above the waterline via brush, roller, or spray
- A single coat is sufficient for most applications, even over bare wood.
- Sandable in 60-90 minutes @ 65°F
- Available in White and Gray, in Quart and Gallon sizes
Our Topside Primer is a One Coat Wonder!
The substantial solids in our Topside Primer create a coating that covers completely, in a single application. You actually want to paint it on thinner so the solids can fill any small surface imperfections and dry properly. A thinner coat is also more pliable and able to flex without lifting. When it’s dry, just sand lightly, wipe clean, and apply your topside finish. It doesn’t get any easier. Just remember to spend a full five minutes stirring it well before applying, so you get more solids off the bottom of the can and onto your brush or roller. Or into your sprayer.
Under or Over, this Primer Goes Above and Beyond
This versatile topside primer is a solid, easy-sanding undercoat for both one and two-part polyurethane or enamel paints. If you need to hide larger imperfections first, use TotalFair epoxy fairing compound, then overcoat with Topside Primer before applying your topcoat. It’s the recommended primer for our WetEdge topside paint, TotalTread non-skid deck paint, and TotalGold marine paints. Compared to the competition, it goes on thinner, covers more area, is more flexible, requires fewer coats, and dries faster.
- Finish sheen/gloss: Flat (5-10°)
- Application: Brush, roll, or spray
- Thinning (Brushing/Rolling): TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100, 5-10%)
- Thinning (Spraying): TotalBoat Spray Thinner 101, 10-20% (depending on spray equipment and environmental conditions)
- Application temperature: 50-90°F; humidity 0-90%
- Number of coats: 1-2
- Dry time to touch: 10 minutes @ 90°F; 30 minutes @ 70°F; 1 hr @ 50°F
- Dry time to overcoat: 1 hr @ 90°F; 2 hrs @ 70°F; 4 hrs @ 50°F
- Coverage: 250-300 sq. ft. per gallon
- Surface prep solvent: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 or TotalBoat Spray Thinner 101 or TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep
- Cleanup solvent: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 or TotalBoat Spray Thinner 101 or TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep
- NOTE: Not recommended for steel and aluminum
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including titanium dioxide, ethylbenzene, silica crystalline, and cumene, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer, and n-methylpyrrolidone, which is known to the State of California to cause developmental toxicity. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Frequently Asked Questions
What can Topside Primer be used on?
It can be used on properly prepared fiberglass, wood, and previously painted surfaces in good condition. It should not be used on metals.
Can it be applied below the waterline?
TotalBoat Topside Primer is intended for topside finishes. While it can be used to prime surfaces below the waterline, it is not designed for continuous submersion. An epoxy barrier coat would be more appropriate for below the waterline applications.
Can TotalBoat Topside Primer be used over epoxy resins?
TotalBoat Topside Primer can be applied over epoxy as long as the cured epoxy surface is prepared properly. Remove any amine blush with soap and water, rinse thoroughly, and dry completely. Next, sand lightly, then remove sanding residue by wiping with a clean, lint-free rag dampened with TotalBoat Dewaxer and Surface Prep. Allow the surface to dry completely, before applying.
How many coats should I apply?
The substantial solids in our Topside Primer create a coating that covers completely, in a single application. Because this is a high-solids primer, it’s designed to be applied thinly to seal the surface, not in thick coats to fill surface imperfections. Apply a second coat only if a higher build is desired.
How do I apply this primer?
Thin with TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 when brushing, and TotalBoat Spray Thinner 101 when spraying. You should use a 1.1mm tip when spraying. In cooler temperatures, Spray Thinner 101 can be used as a brushing thinner. Do not apply TotalBoat Topside Primer thicker than recommended, or it may not cure properly.
For more information, refer to our step-by-step instructions here.
How long does it take until it’s fully dry?
The dry time to touch is 10 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the temperature. The dry time to overcoat is also dependent on the temperature. It can take anywhere between 1 hour to 4 hours before it’s fully cured.