- Pre-treatment and surface conditioner for corrosion protection and better adhesion of paints, glues, epoxies, and other coatings on bare aluminum, galvanized steel, and other non-ferrous metals
- Reacts chemically with the metal, etching the surface and preparing it for coating
- Aluminum Etch Wash Boat Cleaner removes corrosion, contaminants, and oxidation quickly and easily
- Provides a clean, bright metal surface to which primer and paint adhere strongly
- Great for aluminum pontoon boats, duck boats, fishing boats, and other boats with aluminum hulls or bottoms
- Can be polished immediately after cleaning and brightening to enhance shine
- Compatible with one- and two-part finishes above and below the waterline
- Non-flammable and chromate-free so it’s not as bio-hostile as zinc chromate primers
- Size: Available in Quart and Gallon sizes
Clean, brighten, and etch aluminum boats & surfaces in just 5 minutes so paint adheres better and lasts longer
Most paints have a hard time sticking to aluminum to begin with. It’s no secret that many pontoon boat manufacturers coat an aluminum finish with wax to protect it. Paint on top of that, and peeling is a promise. Likewise for older aluminum boats if all traces of corrosion and oxidation are not removed completely before painting.
Proper surface preparation is critical to painting success on aluminum and other non-ferrous metals. Etching the aluminum surfaces provides the tooth necessary for primers and finishes to adhere. Aluminum Boat Etch Wash cleaner and conditioner etches the surface then rinses away completely, leaving a surface that’s chemically clean and ready-to-paint, with temporary protection against corrosion and oxidation. Once primed and painted, it helps ensure paint stays put and doesn’t peel. Which helps protect aluminum from oxidation and corrosion and keeps it looking good longer.
Works in a single step, and rinses off easily with water
It’s easy to apply a thin coating of Aluminum Boat Etch Wash using a brush or spray equipment. Keep the surface wet with Etch Wash, and don’t allow it to dry on the surface. For any areas with oxidation buildup, use a Scotch-Brite pad to abrade lightly. After 5 minutes, use fresh water or deionized water to rinse the surface. Rinsing removes Etch Wash completely, as well as any oils and contaminants.
Paint the treated surface immediately before the metal has time to oxidize
After rinsing, you’ll notice that the water runs completely off of the metal surface, with no beading, indicating that the surface is free of contaminants. Dry the surface completely, then apply paint immediately before oxidation sets in, which can happen pretty quickly. Even leaving the boat overnight and painting the next day can cause adhesion problems.
Aluminum Boat Etch Wash Cleaner is compatible with one- and two-part finishes, and can be used above or below the waterline. For example, to protect your aluminum fishing boat, treat the surface with Aluminum Boat Etch Wash, then apply TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Barrier Coat, and finish by overcoating with TotalBoat AlumiPaint AF antifouling bottom paint specifically formulated for pontoon boats and aluminum fishing boats.
Also makes a great pretreatment for polishing aluminum surfaces
Like the look of your bright, shiny toons and wouldn’t dream of covering them with paint? Aluminum Boat Etch Wash marine cleaner and conditioner cleans and brightens dirty, dull aluminum surfaces, and gets them ready for polish.
Aluminum Boat Etch Wash Cleaner & Conditioner Specifications:
- Substrates: Bare aluminum, galvanized steel, and other non-ferrous metals
- Application method: Brush or spray
- Recommended application temperature: 45 to 125°F
- Typical treatment time: 5 minutes
- For heavy oxidation: Abrade the oxidized area lightly with a Scotch-Brite™ pad while the surface is wetted with Aluminum Boat Etch Wash
- Note: Do not allow Etch Wash to dry on surface. Reapply as needed to prevent drying. After 5 minutes, rinse with fresh or deionized water.
- Rinsing/cleanup: Water
- Coverage: 400-500 sq. ft./gallon
- Safety: This product contains phosphoric acid. Before using, please read and follow the handling and first aid recommendations in the SDS (Safety Data Sheet) and the instructions for use in the Technical Data sheet. Avoid contact: Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. For personal protection, ensure that the work area has adequate ventilation, and always use a proper apron, rubber gloves, and goggles when using Aluminum Boat Etch Wash.
- CAUTION: Do not use to clean wood or fiberglass. In addition, do not use it on aluminum castings, high copper-bearing aluminum alloys, or painted metal surfaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Aluminum Boat Cleaner & Etch Wash be used on other metals?
Aluminum Boat Etch Wash can be used to enhance finish adhesion on bare aluminum, galvanized steel, and other non-ferrous metals.
Will Etch Wash remove an anodized finish?
No, it will need to be stripped and sanded bare.
Can this be used to remove paint from aluminum?
No, you will need to remove the paint prior to using this. It’s designed to etch the surface prior to painting, so you get good adhesion with the paint. It cannot be used on painted surfaces, wood, or fiberglass.
Can it be used above the waterline?
Yes. Aluminum Boat Etch Wash may be used above or below the waterline.
What finishes is it compatible with?
It is compatible with both one and two-part finishes. When painting an aluminum fishing boat, you can treat the surface with Etch Wash, then apply TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Barrier Coat, and finish by overcoating with TotalBoat AlumiPaint AF antifouling bottom paint.
What is the coverage?
A quart will cover approximately 100 square feet, and a gallon will cover about 400-500 square feet.
What do you rinse Aluminum Boat Etch Wash with?
It’s ideal to rinse Etch Wash with distilled water to eliminate any impurities, but tap water is OK to use if desired.
Why is it so important to etch aluminum before painting?
Paints have a hard time sticking to aluminum. Etching the surfaces will help primers and finishes to adhere strongly without peeling or cracking. This helps protect aluminum from oxidation and corrosion and keeps it looking good longer.