- Innovative one-part marine spar varnish allows rapid recoating with no sanding needed between coats
- Recoat in just 1 hour @ 72°F
- Gives all types of wood greater depth and a rich, warm, amber finish
- For interior and exterior use
- Finish: Ultra-High Gloss or Matte
- Color: Clear Amber
- Size: Both finishes are available in Pint, Quart, & Gallon sizes
- Includes two stir sticks, two paint pots, and a pair of latex gloves – free (a $10 value)
What’s in a name?
We named this product Lust because we had a rabid desire to create a one-part, high-gloss spar varnish that was super glossy, flowed well, could be hot-coated, and didn’t need sanding between coats. Until now, only synthetic finishes mimicking the appearance of varnish allowed multiple coats without sanding. They are popular not for their finish quality, but for their ease of application and time savings. There’s nothing wrong with that, but there’s no substitute for the timeless beauty of real varnish. Until now, achieving such a finish meant lots of time and energy spent applying multiple coats and sanding between each.
We concocted, we tested and retested, and Lust was born. We were driven by our lust for Lust, you might say. Its unique linseed oil modified polyurethane formula and its rapid recoating capability can’t be found in any other marine varnish.
Build multiple coats quickly so you can see the shine sooner and finish the job faster
Lust has a viscosity similar to traditional European varnishes. But unlike traditional European varnishes, it can be recoated in as little as one hour at 72°F. And again, without requiring sanding between coats. The gloss improves, layer by layer. A total of 6-8 coats provide the best UV protection and the highest gloss. If you prefer a matte finish, Lust Matte provides a smooth-as-satin finish that downplays the shine and lets the natural beauty of the wood speak for itself.
Puts the bright in brightwork
Lust High Gloss dries fast, hard, and wet-looking. The finish is smooth and durable, with a gloss level so shiny it looks wet, even when it’s dry—making it ideal for brightwork. To protect that glossy amber sheen, Lust is heavily fortified with UV stabilizers. Just as the gloss becomes glossier layer by layer, the UV protection becomes stronger as more coats are applied.
- Gloss DOI (Distinctness of Image): >80% @ 20°; >92% @ 60° (Gloss), 20-40% (Matte)
- Thinning: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 (brushing/rolling); xylene (spraying)
- Cleanup: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100
- Application: Brush, roll & tip, or spray
- Application Temperature: 45-105°F; relative humidity 0-90%
- Tack-free time to recoat: 1 hour @ 72°F
- Overcoat without sanding: Up to 48 hours
- Total number of coats: Approximately 6-8
- Recommended number of coats per day: 2-3 light, smooth, even coats per day for two to three days. Up to five coats can be applied in one day under optimal conditions. See Technical Data for application details.
- Hint: TotalBoat Wood Sealer can also be used on new wood before applying Lust to avoid any reducing and mixing on the first coat. Simply add 2-3 coats of TotalBoat Wood Sealer on sanded and cleaned bare wood, allow to dry for 24 hours, then apply Lust as directed in the Technical Data sheet.