- Resilient, one-part polyurethane resin ready-mixed with unique Propyltex™ texturing agents for a tougher, slip-resistant surface
- High-tech texturing additive adheres better and looks better longer than traditional silica non-skid additives
- UV stabilizers allow colors and finish to withstand heavy use and harsh weather without fading, cracking, or peeling
- The amount of texture is determined by the number of coats applied. More coats equals greater texture.
- Apply over fiberglass, wood, and previously painted surfaces in good condition. Not for use on metals.
- Colors: Available in White, Gray, and Sand Beige
- Sizes: Quarts and Gallons
- Each order includes a pair of latex gloves, two wooden stir sticks, and two plastic paint pots
Less gritty “grit” has greater grip and longevity
Particle size matters. The round Propyltex™ particles in TotalTread are less abrasive than traditional silica, but more abrasion resistant. They come in a range of sizes, each with a different purpose. Some make sure the coating grips and lasts. Others lower the gloss level to prevent eye-straining sun glare on a wet deck. Some create a smooth feel underfoot. It doesn’t hurt to walk barefoot on it, and if you do hit the deck it won’t hurt nearly as much as old fashioned ‘sand’ non-skid additives do.
Masking is the hardest part of applying TotalTread
The non-skid stuff in TotalTread has a low density so it stays suspended in the paint. Unlike other non-skid paints, the particles won’t float to the top, or sink to the bottom. Mixing is easy and quick, and doesn’t require a trip to the local paint store to have them give it a ride on the shaker for you. Because the particles stay suspended in the paint, it’s easy to lay down an even coat of consistent texture. You don’t have to keep stirring the paint to keep the particles in play. The most time-consuming painting task is masking off areas where you don’t want TotalTread.
More coats equals more grip
High-solids TotalTread will cover completely in one coat. However, we recommend two coats to get the best combination of grip and durability. If you want even more texture, apply a third coat.
Looks cleaner after cleaning
Sounds obvious, but hard-scrubbing traditional non-skid coatings can leave ugly dark specks where the silica particles wear through. TotalTread is easier to clean because it’s less abrasive. And because it’s more abrasion resistant, the only thing hard scrubbing does is make it look as good as the day it was applied.
Create a custom non-skid color
Like the texture but not the tint? Concocting your own color is easy. Just mix TotalTread colors, or blend a TotalTread color with a TotalBoat Wet Edge color.
Not just for your boat’s deck
Use TotalTread where extra traction is needed, such as wooden stairs, steps, and docks.
- Finish: Flat, gritty
- Application temperature: 50-90°F; humidity 0-90%
- Application methods: Brush, roll and tip, or spray
- Thinning (Brush/Roll): TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100, 5-10%, if needed
- Thinning (Spray): Xylene, 15-20% (thinning percentage varies by sprayer and conditions)
- Cleanup: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 or TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep
- Number of coats: 2; between coats, sand lightly with 220 grit sandpaper
- Dry time to touch: 1.5 hrs @ 90°F; 3 hrs @ 70°F; 6 hrs @ 50°F
- Dry time to overcoat: 8 hrs @ 90°F; 12 hrs @ 70°F; 16 hrs @ 50°F
- Coverage: One gallon covers 250-300 ft2
- Primer: TotalBoat Topside Primer (wood and previously painted surfaces; not needed on properly prepared fiberglass), TotalBoat 2-Part Epoxy Primer (Metals), TotalBoat TotalProtect Barrier Coat (Fiberglass/Metals), TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Barrier Coat (Metals)