- Durable one-part medium oil alkyd resin
- Bright gold metallic finish is perfect for cove stripes and boat name lettering, decorative quarterboards, and signage
- Excellent color consistency and UV stability
- Tested under intense UV and harsh humidity for over 3,000 hours to ensure maximum durability and tarnish resistance
- For interior and exterior use
- Easy to apply over fiberglass, gelcoat, wood, primed steel, and previously painted surfaces in good condition. Do not use on aluminum without an etching primer such as TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Etch Wash followed by TotalBoat 2-Part Epoxy Primer.
- Available in Pints and Quarts
- Each order includes a pair of latex gloves, two stir sticks, and two paint pots (a $10 value, free)
Get the look of gold with a lot less work. For a lot less money.
A boat’s name is an intensely personal thing. If those cold, slap-on vinyl letters don’t do it for you, shun the vinyl and paint it yourself. But what to use? Gold leafing produces radiant results, but it’s expensive and labor-intensive. TotalGold is an affordable one-part enamel that provides the look of real gold for boat lettering, quarterboards, and cove stripes.
Goes on easily and evenly
Getting great results with TotalGold is easy. Spraying results in a consistent metallic gold coating. Achieve similar results brushing by using a quality brush with a high bristle count. If you’re brushing or rolling, just remember to stir the paint in the pot or tray to keep it mixed so you get more of the metal flakes on your brush or roller. If you’re rolling and tipping, roll against the grain if you can, then immediately tip with a good quality brush in the direction of the grain. This simple technique prevents surface air bubbles and ensures a beautiful, smooth gold surface. TotalGold has a satin finish with shiny metallic particles in it. Apply the recommended 2-3 coats for best results. If you want it glossier, apply a layer of one-part varnish or clear coat over it.
As good as real gold?
TotalGold better resembles gilding because it’s more yellow in color than other one-part paints. The metal flakes in it will gradually undergo oxidation to take on a slight green tint over time. Other one-part paints lean toward the green side to begin with, appearing green-gold after oxidation. With this in mind, TotalGold was designed and thoroughly tested to withstand the ravages of weather and UV rays. Testing consisted of continuous exposure to 12 hours of intense UV light, followed by 12 hrs of 100% humidity. At 3,000 hours of non-stop testing, TotalGold continued to show great color and UV stability with zero tarnishing.
- Primer (fiberglass): TotalBoat Topside Primer
- Primer (steel): TotalBoat 2-Part Epoxy Primer
- If using TotalGold on aluminum, apply an etching primer first. Use TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Etch Wash, and follow with TotalBoat 2-Part Epoxy Primer within 1 hour of metal preparation.
- Finish Sheen/Gloss: Satin (35-40°)
- Application temperature: 50-90°F; humidity 0-90%
- Application methods: Brush, roll and tip, or spray
- Thinning: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100. Spraying (5-20%); brushing or rolling/tipping (thinning should not be necessary, but if desired, thin 5-10%)
- Number of coats: 1-2; between coats, sand lightly with 220-grit sandpaper
- Dry time to touch: 1-1/2 hrs @ 90°F, 3 hrs @ 70°F, 6 hrs @ 50°F
- Dry time to overcoat: 8 hrs @ 90°F, 12 hrs @ 70°F, 16 hrs @ 50°F
- Coverage: One quart covers 62.5-75 ft2; one gallon covers 250-300 ft2
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including ethylbenzene and cumene, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer, and n-methylpyrrolidone, which is known to the State of California to cause developmental toxicity. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
TotalBoat TotalGold Technical Data