- High-solids formula provides superior coverage as an undercoating for polyurethane and enamel topside paints
- One-part primer is easy to apply, dries fast, and cures to a hard finish that won’t lift or crack
- Lead-free and chromate-free
- Apply on wood, fiberglass, gelcoat, and over previously painted materials above the waterline via brush, roller, or spray
- A single coat is sufficient for most applications, even over bare wood.
- Sandable in 60-90 minutes @ 65°
- Available in White and Gray, in Quart and Gallon sizes
- Each order includes a pair of latex gloves, two 10″ wooden stir sticks, and two plastic 1-quart paint pots
It’s a one coat wonder
The substantial solids in our Topside Primer create a higher build coating that covers completely in a single application. You actually want to paint it on thinner so the solids can fill any small surface imperfections and dry properly. A thinner coat is also more pliable and able to flex without lifting. When it’s dry, just sand lightly, wipe clean, and apply your topside finish. It doesn’t get any easier. Just remember to spend a full five minutes stirring it well before applying, so you get more solids off the bottom of the can and onto your brush or roller. Or into your sprayer.
Under or over, it goes above and beyond
This versatile primer is a solid, easy-sanding undercoat for both one and two-part polyurethane or enamel paints. If you need to hide larger imperfections first, use TotalFair epoxy fairing compound, then overcoat with Topside Primer before applying your topcoat. It’s the recommended primer for our Wet Edge, TotalTread, TotalGold, and TotalBilge marine paints. Compared to the competition, it goes on thinner, covers more area, is more flexible, requires fewer coats, and dries faster.
- Finish sheen/gloss: Flat (5-10°)
- Application: Brush, roll, or spray
- Surface prep solvent: TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep
- Thinning: Brushing/rolling (TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100, 5-10%); Spraying (xylene, 15-20% depending on sprayer and conditions)
- Thinning note: In cooler temperatures, xylene can be used as a thinner for spray or brush/roller application
- Application temperature: 50-90°F; humidity 0-90%
- Number of coats: 1-2
- Dry time to touch: 10 minutes @ 90°F; 30 minutes @ 70°F; 1 hr @ 50°F
- Dry time to overcoat: 1 hr @ 90°F; 2 hrs @ 70°F; 4 hrs @ 50°F
- Coverage: One gallon covers 250-300 ft2
- Cleanup: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100, TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep, or xylene
- NOTE: Not recommended for steel and aluminum