- Fumed Silica thickens epoxy and polyester resin systems to prevent sagging or slumping on vertical and overhead surfaces
- Creates a smooth, strong filleting compound
- Cured surface is extremely hard and abrasion resistant
- Creates secure structural bonds on porous and non-porous surfaces
- Fills holes and gaps
- Always wear proper safety protection when blending Silica Thickener or other fillers into mixed resin/hardener
- Product Color: White
- Cured Color: Dull White
- Sizes: Available sizes include 1 Quart, 5 Quarts, and 10-lb. bag
Where to use TotalBoat fillers
Silica Thickener can be used alone or combined with other fillers to achieve the desired properties. For example, blend into mixed resin/hardener along with TotalBoat Glass Microballoons (sold separately) to allow easy sanding when fairing. Or, combine with TotalBoat Milled Glass Fibers (sold separately) for added strength and sag resistance.
TotalBoat fillers can be used with either epoxy or polyester resins to change the resin properties for various uses, such as bulking out the resin or making it easy to sand. Because fillers can affect the pot life of a resin, create a small trial batch first to determine how much working time you’ll have.
|Glass Microballoons||Milled Glass Fibers||Silica Thickener|
|Fairing||✔||✔ (blended with Glass Microballoons)|
|Filleting||✔||✔||✔ (blended with Glass Microballoons)|
|Vertical Surfaces||✔ (in thick enough concentration)||✔|
|Surfboard or Sailboard Repair||✔|
NOTE: A 5-quart quantity of TotalBoat Silica Thickener combined with the 1 Gallon Kit of TotalBoat 5:1 Epoxy, Group Size B (sold separately), will produce approximately 1.75 gallons of smooth, thixotropic epoxy filler.