- Paint mix kit lets you create any TotalBoat Elixir paint color for your project
- Includes five basic Elixir paint colors, mixing tools, and color mixing guide
- UV-stable, with excellent color and finish retention
- Cured finish is washable and repairable
- Great for woodworking, wall art, signs, and other creative applications
- Easy to apply by brushing, rolling & tipping, or spraying
- Very fast drying time allows 1 hour recoat at 72°F – apply up to 5 coats in one day
- Self-priming paint adheres directly to properly prepared metals, fiberglass, wood, and previously painted surfaces in good condition
Each Kit Includes:
- 1 Pint Elixir Fire Red
- 1 Pint Elixir Admiral Blue
- 1 Pint Elixir Yellow
- 1 Pint Elixir Black
- 1 Pint Elixir White
- Stir sticks
- Paint mixing pots
- Color mixing guide
- Finish: Semi-Gloss
- Gloss: 40-50% @ 60°
- Substrates: Properly prepared fiberglass, wood, metals, and previously painted surfaces (oil-based or solvent-based) in good condition
- Application temperature: 50-90°F; RH 0-90%
- Application methods: Brush, roll and tip, or spray. For brushing, use a tapered polyester brush; for rolling, use a high-density foam roller cover.
- Primer: No primer needed
- Thinning: Water, if needed, up to 20%
- Cleanup: Soap and water
- Number of coats: 2-3, minimum
- Film thickness per coat: 3-5 mils wet
- Coverage: 80-100 sq. ft. per quart (3 mils wet film thickness)
- Wet edge working time: 60-90 seconds @ 72°F
- Tack-free time to recoat: 1 hr @ 72°F
- Overcoat without sanding: Up to 12 hours
WARNING: This product contains chemicals including n-methylpyrrolidone, which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm, and titanium dioxide, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Frequently Asked Questions
What applications is Elixir most appropriate for?
This versatile, water-based enamel semi-gloss finish adheres directly to metal, fiberglass, and wood surfaces in good condition. It is suitable for a wide range of interior and exterior applications. It’s ideal for topsides, coamings, cabin ceilings, lazarettes, lockers, doors, cabinets, trim, bulkheads, and galleys. Elixir is also ideal for use on cabinets, doors, trim, paneling, and baseboards in your home.
Do I need to prime before using Elixir?
Elixir’s self-priming enamel formula means it can be applied directly to properly prepared metal, fiberglass, wood, and previously painted surfaces. The only surfaces requiring priming beforehand are epoxies, including epoxy fairing compounds.
What is the best way to apply this paint?
Use a brush, roll & tip, or spray. When brushing, you’ll get the best results using a tapered nylon or polyester bristle brush. When rolling, use a high-density foam roller cover. If spraying, Elixir can be reduced with water up to 20%.
How do I apply this enamel finish?
Apply smooth, even coats (3-5 mils wet) of full-bodied Elixir. Recoat after 1 hour at 72°F, or when the surface is tack free. For up to 12 hours, Elixir can be overcoated without sanding. For best results, use 320-400 grit sandpaper before the final coat. Build a minimum of 2-3 coats. Detailed instructions.
How many coats of paint should I apply?
We recommend applying 2-3 coats at 3-5 mils wet per coat. More coats will improve the finish and the depth of color.
How long do I have to wait before applying another coat of Elixir?
The time to overcoat is 1 hour at 72°F. A maximum of 5 coats can be applied per day.
What is the coverage of this paint?
80-100 sq. ft. per quart (3 mils wet film thickness).
How do I maintain the painted finish?
Once cured, Elixir can be cleaned regularly with mild soap and water. For any scratches or damage that may occur, tape off around the area and sand lightly with 320-grit sandpaper until the damaged paint has been sanded away. Remove any sanding residue. Apply 1-2 new coats of Elixir to the area. Apply 1-2 maintenance coats each year to maintain the appearance, especially for exterior applications exposed to the weather. For detailed information, refer to our technical data sheet here.