Step into the TotalBoat Workshop for a super up-close look at a total refit on a 1965 classic, the Graves Constellation, “Vela.” Her owners are no strangers to yacht racing and when they found this hull for sale, they knew it was a chance to bring an old classic up to modern racing form. Follow along with us as we document, blog here, and post on Facebook and Instagram during the whole restoration.
Mike Zani has proclaimed the goals of the project as follows:
- Have fun
- Use 100% TotalBoat products whenever possible
- Fundamentally fix Vela as her deck and deckhouse leak like a sieve
- Unlock the natural beauty in her hull lines
- Make her more of a daysailer with ability to overnight if needed
- Maker her easier to sail handle
- Keep her class legal
- Install many beer holders
- Kick everyones ass racing while looking mighty stylish in doing so
We are busy chasing down the important steps to pass along to you all. With a live, daily view into the shop via our LIVE SHOP CAM, and updates on our JD Facebook, Instagram and on these blog posts, you will have a front row seat to the action. And we will crank out some videos along the way explaining some of the finer and cooler parts of the project.
So be sure to sign up for notifications of posts on this blog page, you can sign up for TotalBoat Channel on YouTube, follow our social media (links above) and watch that shop cam. In the end, Vela and her owner(s) will emerge from the TotalBoat shop with quite the machine. Other Constellations….beware!