- 2-Part strontium chromate epoxy base coat creates a super-thin layer barrier that provies maximum protection against corrosion, chemical, and moisture damage on aluminum and steel boats
- Use it to prevent corrosion on aluminum masts, booms, bowsprits, spreaders, T-tops, railings, and more
- Inhibits corrosion on other underwater metals such as trim tabs, shafts, and struts, preventing unsightly pitting
- Functions as a highly effective tie-coat primer, providing a superior bonding surface for topcoats or other primers
- Ideal for corrosion protection on large surface areas
- Simple 1:1 mix ratio (by volume)
- Easy to apply by spray (recommended), brush, or roller
- Use above and below the waterline on properly prepared aluminum, steel, and sanded fiberglass
- Overcoat with 1- or 2-part urethane topcoats including TotalBoat Wet Edge (regular or cold-cure formula) or epoxy primers like TotalBoat Surfacing Epoxy Primer
- Size: Quart Kit includes 1 quart Part A Yellow Base and 1 quart Part B Activator
- Bonus: Each Quart Kit order includes: 2 Quart size plastic paint pots, 2 10" wooden stir sticks, 2 2" foam brushes, 2 paint strainers, and a pair of large latex gloves
One thin coat provides excellent adhesion and corrosion protection for metal boats and boat parts
TotalBoat Strontium Chromate Epoxy Primer is specially formulated to prevent corrosion on metal boat surfaces. It is ideally suited for use on duck boats, aluminum boats, pontoons, & steel boats. This protective primer creates a barrier impervious to moisture and chemicals that not only protects the metal under it, but gives urethane topcoats and epoxy primer overcoats a surface they can really stick to. Strontium Chromate Epoxy Primer is great for more than just metal hulls—use it on aluminum spars and underwater metals, too.
Etch now or kvetch later
Bare aluminum oxidizes very quickly, which is OK if you don’t plan to paint it. But the oxidation that protects unpainted aluminum from corrosion makes paint or primer peel faster than a banana at a speed eating contest. Well maybe not quite that fast, but since there’s nothing appealing about peeling, we recommend treating aluminum surfaces with our TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Etch Wash first. It removes oxidation n just five minutes, and creates the etched surface necessary for successful adhesion. After the surface has been rinsed and dried completely, apply Strontium Chromate Epoxy Primer immediately.
In fact, timing is everything with this easy-to-use primer. Plan to complete the entire surface prep process and application of 1 thin coat of TotalBoat Strontium Chromate Epoxy Primer within 4 hours, if possible, to prevent oxidation or surface contamination.
Note: Not meant to fill surface imperfections
TotalBoat Strontium Chromate Primer is a thin tie coat to be used for corrosion protection and adhesion—it does not fill surface defects. To fill small scratches and other minor surface imperfections, apply TotalBoat 2-Part High Build Epoxy Primer within 45 minutes to 48 hours of applying Strontium Chromate Epoxy Primer.
- Components: Two
- Color: Yellow
- Finish: Semi-gloss
- Application methods: Spray (recommended), brush, or roll
- Mix ratio by volume: 1:1 (1 part base to 1 part activator)
- Induction period: After mixing thoroughly, allow a 15-minute induction period before reduction (optional) and application
- Thinner/reducer: TotalBoat Epoxy Primer Reducer—up to 25% (sold separately)
- Application temperature: 45-125°F
- Pot life: 8 hrs @ 72°F
- Number of coats: 1
- Recommended finish: Epoxy-based surfacing primer or urethane paints
- Dry time to touch: 30 minutes @ 72°F
- Dry time to overcoat (with epoxy-based surfacing primer): 45 minutes to 48 hours @ 72°F
- Dry time to overcoat (with urethane paint): 1 to 48 hours @ 72°F
- Theoretical coverage: 640 sq. ft./gal. @ 1 mil dry (no loss)
- Etch wash for aluminum: TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Etch Wash
- Cleanup: TotalBoat 2-Part Epoxy Primer Reducer
WARNING! FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY. A RESPIRABLE DUST HAZARD IS CREATED FROM SANDING THIS MATERIAL, ONCE CURED. SPRAYING THIS PRODUCT IS EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS. USE OF THIS PRODUCT REQUIRES THE WEARING OF PROPER PROTECTIVE GLOVES, PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, EYE PROTECTION, FACE PROTECTION, AND A PROPER RESPIRATOR. DO NOT BREATHE DUST, FUMES, GAS, MIST, VAPORS, OR SPRAY. DO NOT HANDLE THIS PRODUCT UNTIL ALL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS HAVE BEEN READ AND UNDERSTOOD.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including ethylbenzene, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
TotalBoat Strontium Chromate Epoxy Primer Technical Data
Strontium Chromate Epoxy Primer Yellow Base SDS
Strontium Chromate Epoxy Primer Activator SDS