- Apply to properly prepared rusted, new, or clean, stripped metal—even stainless steel
- Neutralizes rusting action, converting rust to a stable surface that can be painted, or primed and painted
- Seals out moisture and oxygen to inhibit future rust and protect your paint job
- Simple application—nothing to mix or measure
- Can be welded through (wire brush the area after to remove slag, then reapply Rust Primer)
- Phosphoric acid-based formula is not as harsh as hydrochloric/muriatic acid rust removers
- Great for boats, boat lifts, RVs, and trailers
- Product Color: Green
- Dried Color: Black
- Sizes: Available in Quart and Gallon sizes
- Coverage: Over 500 ft2 per gallon
Converts rusted metal to a surface ready for priming and painting
TotalBoat Rust Primer transforms rust by chemically converting something bad—iron oxide (rust!) to something good—iron phosphate—a very stable something that prevents further corrosion. Once Rust Primer’s work is done, you can prime or paint right over it. No rubbing, no scrubbing, no hassle. And you know when it’s done doing its thing because it turns black. It may be painted over once completely dry.
It’s not a paint, but it makes a paint job last longer
To be clear, our Rust Primer is not a paint, it’s a treatment for metal. And it’s very, very thin so you get excellent coverage—especially into places you can’t reach but rust can. Just use a wire brush first to remove any flaky rust or loose paint, brush or squirt Rust Primer on with a spray bottle and leave it to dry overnight. Not only will it leave the surface rust-free and protected, it’ll make the surface such that primer and paint will adhere to it extremely well.
Traditional rust converters or removers contain harsh acids that remove rust but leave the surface exposed to water and oxygen, allowing rust to form. You can’t get away from water and oxygen, they’re everywhere, but Rust Primer keeps them away from your metal surfaces because it neutralizes the rust and coats the surface, sealing out air and moisture. So rust stays put and can’t spread further, and future rust can’t form under your new, beautiful paint job, or on metal parts that are too expensive or inconvenient to replace. It’s OK to get excited—this is a truly remarkable, economical product that will save you time and elbow grease.
- Components: One
- Application: Brush or spray bottle
- Application temperature: 50-90°F; 0-90% relative humidity
- Film thickness per coat: 1-2 mils dry (3 mils wet)
- Number of coats: 1-2
- After each coat, allow to dry overnight