- Base coat resin for laminating applications
- Surface remains tacky so layers of fiberglass mat or cloth adhere to each other better during laminating
- Will not sag on vertical surfaces
- Does not require sanding between coats, or before a final coat with a polyester finishing resin
- Contains no wax
- Requires a final coat of polyester finishing resin containing wax to cure to a hard, tack-free finish
- Application: Brush or plastic spreader
- Hardener: MEKP (methyl ethyl ketone peroxide), included
- Sizes: Available in Quart and Gallon Kits
- Each Kit order includes: 1 QT size plastic mixing pot, 1 10" wooden stir stick, and 1 pair of large, powder-free latex gloves.
Great for wetting out fiberglass fabrics and keeping them in position during layups
Tacky is good when you’re doing fiberglass layups and need to keep building layers without having them harden up on you. TotalBoat Polyester Laminating Resin will not cure on its own in direct contact with air. It contains no wax to prevent creation of an oxygen barrier that would cause it to cure, so it stays tacky and won’t sag while you’re building up layers. Its viscosity is ideal for wetting out fiberglass mat and cloth. Apply a final coat of TotalBoat Polyester Finishing Resin (which does contain wax) that cures to a hard, tack-free finish ready for sanding, painting, or gelcoating.
Gel time depends on amount of hardener admixed
The following table indicates approximate gel times @ 70°F. Adjust the hardener level to slow down or speed up gel time. Cooler temperatures may require a higher percentage of hardener than warmer temperature conditions.
|Slow Gel Time||Medium Gel Time||Fast Gel Time|
|20 minutes or more||15-20 minutes||10 minutes|
|1 teaspoon of hardener per quart of laminating resin||2 teaspoons of hardener per quart of laminating resin||3 teaspoons of hardener per quart of laminating resin|