- Lightweight, 2-part polyester putty filler & fairing compound
- Use above the waterline on gelcoat, fiberglass/composite surfaces, and metals
- Excellent workability, drags smoothly and evenly
- Creates a feathered edge easily
- Sets up quickly without sagging
- Sand easily
- Low styrene content for minimal shrinkage and less odor
- Can be overcoated with paint, gelcoat, or barrier coat primer (if used below the waterline)
- Sizes: Quart, Gallon. Includes MEKP catalyst.
- Bonus: Each order includes 1 plastic spreader
- IMPORTANT: TotalBoat Polyester Fairing compound is for use above the waterline only. If used below the waterline, it must be overcoated with a barrier coat such as TotalBoat TotalProtect Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer.
Versatile compound with many applications
From boat building and repairs to automotive applications, there are many uses for this versatile fairing material, including:
- Fairing fiberglass decks and hulls (above the waterline only)
- Cosmetic filling on composite surfaces to repair shallow dings, cracks, dents, and gouges
- Repairing fiberglass parts, molds, and plugs
- Filling print-through or porosity on composite surfaces
- Fairing joints in sheet metal
TotalBoat Polyester Fairing Compound can also be tinted to better match existing gelcoat. Just be sure to use colorants that are safe for polyester resins.
Economical, time-saving alternative for composite tooling and repair applications
TotalBoat Polyester Fairing Compound is not only less expensive than epoxy fairing compounds, it’s also chemically compatible with polyester resins, and can create strong primary bonds when used to fair polyester resin layups. It also bonds chemically to gelcoat, for a stronger, longer-lasting finish. Polyester Fairing Compound’s quick setup time is also a plus because it greatly reduces the time between application and sanding, for quick turnaround, which is very important for composite shops with tight production schedules.
Smooth drag, no sag, and perfect feathering
Tooling professionals and those doing DIY repairs will appreciate Polyester Fairing Compound’s thick, buttery consistency that won’t sag on vertical and overhead surfaces. It spreads evenly, drags smoothly, and creates a perfect feathered edge the first time—every time—so no time is wasted on reapplication.
Quick setup time and very easy to sand
This lightweight cosmetic filler sets up quickly and can be sanded in as little as 30 minutes. It’s very easy to sand thick or thin areas to a perfectly smooth, streak-free surface, without tearing up the fine, feathered edge. It sands down to a powder, so it won’t load up, and you’ll use less sandpaper.
- Application temperature: 60-90°F
- Mixed color and appearance: White, creamy paste
- Working/cure times: Variable. At 77°F, adding 14-16 drops of MEKP to one ounce of TotalBoat Polyester Fairing Compound will provide a working time of 10-15 minutes, and will cure in 20-30 minutes.
- Dry time to sand: Dependent on temperature, amount of catalyst, and mass of TotalBoat Polyester Fairing Compound. Example: 20-30 minutes for a 100g mass catalyzed with 1% MEKP @ 77°F
- IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTEThis lightweight polyester cosmetic filler is primarily for use in tooling and repair applications as a fairing material only. It’s not designed for structural repairs requiring strength and dimensional stability. For structural repairs, you can use TotalBoat Polyester Structural Repair Putty, a high-strength, fiber-reinforced polyester putty for filling larger cracks & voids. After it cures, apply TotalBoat Polyester Fairing Compound on the repaired area, allow to cure, then sand to achieve an extremely smooth surface ready for paint or gelcoat.
Important Safety Precautions
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including styrene, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Always wear protective clothing and equipment to protect your eyes, skin, and lungs when working with or sanding TotalBoat Polyester Fairing Compound. Personal protective clothing should include appropriate protective gloves, safety glasses or goggles, a proper respirator, and a proper apron or similar protective clothing. Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames, and other ignition sources. No smoking. Only use outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Store in a cool, well-ventilated place (below 75°F). Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood.
Polyester resins have a limited shelf life and will, over time, harden in the container without the addition of catalyst. Shelf life is dependent on a number of factors such as product formulation and storage conditions. As a general rule, the shelf life for uncatalyzed polyester resins should be up to 6 months when stored in dry, cool conditions below 70°F. Warm to above 60°F before use.