- Classic Tung oil marine spar varnish with high solids content creates a deep, radiant, durable finish
- Easy to apply, with smooth flow out on wood and previously painted 1-part varnish in good condition
- Improved Gleam 2.0 formula features higher build per coat with excellent flow-out, plus faster overcoating and cure times
- Color: Clear amber
- Type/Size: Available in Gloss and Satin, in Pint, Quart-Kit, 2-Quart Kit, and Gallon Kit sizes
- When you buy a Kit, you also receive two stir sticks, two paint pots, two paint strainers, two foam brushes, and a pair of latex gloves—free (a $10 value)
Both finishes bring out the best and keep out the worst
Gleam’s transparent gloss and satin finishes enhance the shine and durability of the surfaces they’re applied to. Gloss Gleam is very shiny and very smooth. It’s a little easier to clean, which makes it great for hand rails and trim. Satin Gleam brings out the natural beauty of the wood grain with a finish that’s much less shiny but no less durable. Satin was designed to boost the beauty of interior woods. It can also be used on deck areas that may become slippery when wet. Both Gleam finishes seal the beauty in and block the ravages of sun and moisture.
Flows well and spreads smoothly and evenly
This one-part varnish goes on easily, without much thinning. More solids are applied to the surface, resulting in a more durable, UV-stable coating that lays down flat with fewer air bubbles to knock down by tipping. Unless you’re in extreme temperature conditions, you should only need to thin the first coat as a sealer coat.
Build luster coat by coat
As layers of Gleam are applied, the finish depth increases. This smooth surface can be sanded between coats and overcoated to build gloss or depth as needed, one coat at a time. Maintaining the finish is easy, too. Just apply a few maintenance coats every year to varnished areas that are exposed to direct sunlight.
- Finishes available (Gloss %): Gloss >90%; Satin 20-40%
- Application: Brush, roll, or spray
- Application temperature: 45-105°F; relative humidity 0-85%
- Thinning: Brushing (TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100); spraying (xylene)
- Cleanup: TotalBoat Special Brushing Thinner 100 or TotalBoat Dewaxer & Surface Prep
- Minimum overcoat time: 1 hr @ 80°F; 3 hrs @ 65°F; 8 hrs @ 50°F
- Maximum overcoat time without sanding: 48 hours
- Number of applications: 4-6 coats
- Application hint: TotalBoat Wood Sealer can also be used on new wood before applying Gleam 2.0 to avoid reducing on the first coat. Simply apply 2-3 coats of TotalBoat Wood Sealer on sanded and cleaned bare wood, allow to dry for 24 hours, and apply Gleam 2.0 as directed.