- In cooler temperatures (minimum 45°F), the 5:1 Epoxy Resin/Fast Hardener mixture remains workable to give you adequate time for application, and it speeds up cure time
- Cures to a moisture-resistant, high-strength, light amber finish when mixed with TotalBoat 5:1 Epoxy Resin
- Viscosity is preferred for ease in wetting out fiberglass and other fabrics
- Makes a strong filleting or fairing compound, or adhesive when combined with 5:1 Epoxy Resin and various thickening agents
- Excellent thin-film characteristics provide smooth flow-out and self-leveling ideal for coating and laminating
- Easy to measure and mix using pre-calibrated 5:1 Epoxy Pumps (sold separately), or, if preferred, by weight or volume
- Compatibility: TotalBoat 5:1 hardeners can be used interchangeably with other traditional 5:1 marine epoxy systems
- Mix ratio by volume: 5 parts epoxy resin to 1 part hardener
- Sizes: Size A 6 fl. oz., Size B 25 fl. oz., and Size C 127 fl. oz.
- Note: Hardener sizes correspond to group sizes of TotalBoat 5:1 Epoxy Resin (sold separately)
The cure for cooler temperatures
TotalBoat 5:1 Fast Hardener is ideal if you’re in a hurry and want to get things done a little faster, especially in cooler temperatures, which lengthen the cure time of epoxy resins. It’s easy to measure the right mix, especially with the pre-calibrated 5:1 Epoxy Pumps (sold separately). Combine Fast Hardener with 5:1 Epoxy Resin in a five-part resin to one-part hardener ratio. Then spend about two minutes mixing thoroughly so all those resin and hardener molecules combine like they’re supposed to. The epoxy resin/hardener mixture can be used for wetting out fiberglass and other fabrics, coating, and bonding. The cured result is super strong and moisture resistant.
Note: Our 5:1 Epoxy Pumps are intended for use only with TotalBoat epoxy containers, and they don’t fit other traditional marine 5:1 epoxy containers. If using another brand of 5:1 marine resins with TotalBoat 5:1 hardeners, or TotalBoat 5:1 epoxy resin with other traditional 5:1 hardeners, measure the resin and hardener components by volume OR use only one brand of containers with their matched pumps.
- Application temperature (5:1 Resin and Fast Hardener): ~ 50-85°F
- Minimum recommended temperature: 40°F
- Recommended temperature for dispensing via pump: 60-70°F
- Pot life @ 75°F: 12 minutes
- Set time @ 75°F (thin film): 6 hours
- Cure time @ 75°F (thin film): 1 to 4 days
- Color: 5:1 Epoxy Resin (clear), Fast Hardener (amber); cures to a light amber color
- Note: Not intended for clear coating applications. For clear coating applications, use TotalBoat Crystal Clear Hardener.
Important Safety Information
Always wear protective clothing and equipment to protect your eyes, skin, and lungs when working with TotalBoat Traditional Epoxy Resin and Hardeners. Personal protective clothing should include appropriate gloves, safety glasses or goggles, a proper respirator, and a proper apron or similar protective clothing.